Prostate adenoma is a benign proliferation of prostate tissue. This is very common disease, especially in men over age of 40. Problem is accompanied by urination disorders, including incontinence. It requires mandatory supervision from specialist and individually selected treatment. So that violation of urination control doesn`t limit usual schedule of person and remains secret during entire period of treatment, you can use special absorbent products.
How to reduce incontinence symptoms?
To reduce symptoms of incontinence, it`s necessary to take seriously treatment of adenoma that caused it. Treatment of adenoma should be complex and include not only administration of prescribed drugs, but also correction of lifestyle and habits.
We list the main measures that can help reduce incontinence symptoms:
- Maximum early appeal to specialist. It`s important to go to urologist for examination as soon as you find yourself showing signs of possible prostate adenoma. The sooner examination is carried out and treatment is started, the more chances to successfully get rid of such complications of adenoma as urinary incontinence. In most cases, in treatment of prostate adenoma, it`s possible to dispense with surgical intervention – drug treatment and other methods give expected result and allow you to take disease under control. In cases where conservative treatment wasn`t effective enough, surgery may be needed.
- Compliance with sleep and rest, prevention of effects of stress, rejection of bad habits. It`s recommended to sleep at least 8 hours a day, go to bed no later than 23 hours. For relaxation, you can use herbal medicine and take herbal infusions with calming effect (Valerian, motherwort). But first you need to consult with your doctor if you have any contraindications to herbal medicine. In evening you shouldn`t smoke and take alcohol. It irritates bladder. It`s desirable to stop smoking altogether and limit alcohol intake.
- Schedule of visiting toilet room. Going to toilet on specific schedule (for example, immediately after drinking liquid, or every two hours during day, followed by increase in interval) can help strengthen urinary control. Toilet must be visited before bedtime, even if you don`t feel the need.
- Exercises to strengthen muscles of pelvic floor. Complex of Kegel exercises increases tone of pelvic muscles, which improves ability to control process of urination.
Features of personal hygiene for prostate adenoma
In order not to be in constant stressful waiting, when problem of incontinence will again be felt, you can use special absorbent products. They will protect your skin from irritating action of biological fluids and help you continue to live active life without fear that your problem will suddenly become noticeable to others. With mild or moderate incontinence, disposable urological pads can be used, and with more severe incontinence diaper pants or adult diapers are suitable. The latter option is more often used for people with limited mobility, who are forced to spend most of their time in bed.
Quality absorbent must meet following criteria:
- High absorbency.
- Absorbent layer that prevents spread of unpleasant odors.
- Barriers and other design features that prevent leakage.
- Breathable materials that allow skin to “breathe”, preventing appearance of irritation.
- Good results with dermatological control.
- Snug fit and anatomical shape.
- No obstacles to free movement and stealth under clothing.
Nutritional advice for prostate adenoma and incontinence
With adenoma and problems with urination control, there are no multiple strict dietary restrictions. But by limiting or eliminating some products, or replacing them with others, you can reduce incontinence manifestations:
- Limit spicy, smoked, salty, and pickled foods, as well as too fatty foods and sweets.
- Give preference to lean meats as source of protein.
- Replace caffeinated beverages (not only coffee, but also tea and energy) with fruit and herbal teas. You can`t abandon traditional coffee and tea completely, but postpone their use in first half of a day.
- Enrich your daily diet with fiber – fruits, vegetables, cereal and bran.
- You can add to the diet seafood as source of protein, selenium and zinc.
These tips coincide with general principles of healthy eating and are suitable both for those who treat adenoma conservatively and for people with operated prostate gland. More detailed dietary recommendations, if you need them, will be announced by attending doctor.